Great Givendale, East Riding of Yorkshire
Givendale, Great, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Wolds, 3 miles N by E of Pocklington town and railway station. Post, money order, and telegraph office, Pocklington. Acreage, 1313; population, 73. The parish contains also the township of Grimthorpe. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Millington, in the diocese of York; joint net value, £202. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1849 and again in 1886.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Great Givendale:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Givendale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Givendale, or Gwendale, Great)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: