Garton on the Wolds, East Riding of Yorkshire
Garton-on-the-Wolds, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands a little N of the Driffield and Malton railway, 3 miles WNW of Great Driffield, and has a station of the name of Garton on the railway. It has a post office under Driffield; money order-and telegraph office, Driffield. Acreage, 4146; population, 498. Much of the surface is hilly and wooded. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £130 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on an eminence, has a massive Norman tower, and was-thoroxighly restored under the direction of the late G. E. Street, R.A., in 1856 and following years. The decoration of the interior was carried out by Messrs Clayton & Bell during 1872 to 1880, at a cost of £8000, defrayed by Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart. There are Wesleyan and Primitive-Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Garton-upon-the-Wolds St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Garton on the Wolds:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Garton on the Wolds from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Garton-upon-the-Wolds (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: