Fulfords Ambo, East Riding of Yorkshire
Fulfords Ambo, a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Ouse, near the G.N.R., 2 miles S of York. It consists of the townships of Fulford Gate and Fulford Water, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, of the name of Fulford, under York. Acreage of Fulford Gate, 1655; population, 7536; acreage of Fulford Water, 356; population, 40. The York cemetery, the York cavalry barracks, and the Quakers' lunatic asylum, -called the Retreat, are here. The living of Fulford (Sfc Oswald) is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net yearly value, £147 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was erected in 1866, was partially destroyed by fire in 1877, but since restored at considerable cost. There are a library and reading-room. The village of Gate Fulford is a suburb of the city of York, and the greater part of the township is in the county borough of York.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: