Foston on the Wolds, East Riding of Yorkshire
Foston-on-the-Wolds, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on a headstream of the river Hull called Foston Beck, 3½ miles S of Lowthorpe railway station, and 6 ESE of Great Driffield. Acreage, 1118; population, 218. The parish contains also the townships of Brigham, Gembling, and Great Kelk, and its post town is Wansford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross yearly value, £150. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church has a nave of four bays with round pillars and painted arches, contains a round font, and was reseated in oak in 1886. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. There are almshouses for three poor widows, founded in 1717 and rebuilt in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Foston-upon-the-Wolds St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Foston on the Wolds:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Foston on the Wolds from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Foston-upon-the-Wolds (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Foston on the Wolds are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: