Emswell with Little Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire
Emswell-with-Little Driffield, a township in Driffield parish, E.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles WNW of Great Driffield. Acreage, 2590; population, 334. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Driffield. The township consists of Emswell-with-Kelleythorpe, amalgamated with part of Little Driffield township under a Local Government Order of 1885. The church is very ancient, having existed in Saxon times, -iind is celebrated as the burial place of the pious and learned Northumbrian King Alfred, who died in 705; it was almost sntirely rebuilt in 1809, and has recently been restored. The living is annexed to that of Great Driffield. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Earl of Londesborough is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: