Ellerton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Ellerton, a parish and a township in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, 3½ miles NNW of Bubwith railway station, and 8¾ NE by E of Selby. There is a post office under York; money order office, Bubwith; telegraph office, West Cottingworth. Acreage, 2552; population, 263. A small priory of canons of the Gilbertine order was founded here about the year 1212, by William Fitz Pierre. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £185. The church is good, and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Ellerton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ellerton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: