Ellerby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Ellerby, a village and a township in Swine parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, with a station on the N.E.R., 7 miles NE by N of Hull. Post town, Hull; money order office, North Skirlaugh; telegraph office, Burton Constable (R.S.) It includes the hamlets of Dowthorpe, Longthorpe, Oubrough, and Woodall. Acreage, 2248; population, 331. There is aWesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ellerby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ellerby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ellerby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: