Easington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Easington, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, in the Spurn Head Peninsula, 6 miles SE of Patrington town and railway station, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull. Acreage, 2236; population, 371. The parish includes also the township of Out-Newton. Population, 746. The living is a vicarage, united in 1868 with Kilnsea and Skeffling, in the diocese of York; joint value, £288 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is chiefly Early English, and has a late Norman doorway. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a cemetery, and a coastguard station with rocket apparatus.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Easington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Easington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Easington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Easington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Easington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: