Faringdon, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 3¼ miles SSE of Broad Clist station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6½ ESE of Exeter; was formerly known as Ferendon, and is a small scattered place. The area is 1466 acres. Under the Divided Parishes Act, 1885, a portion of this parish, containing 567 acres, was added to that of Sowton; population of the civil parish, 215; of the ecclesiastical, 271. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Adam de Ferenden. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £380. Patron, the Bishop of Exeteiv The church is a stone building in the Early English style, consecrated in 1871.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Faringdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Farringdon)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.