Catton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Catton, two townships and villages, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The townships are called Low Catton and High Catton. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Stamford Bridge. Area of High Catton, 1684 acres; of Low Catton, 1346 acres; populations, 166 and 193. The parish contains also the townships of East and West Stamford Bridge, with Scoreby. The living is a rectory, annexed to Stamford Bridge, in the diocese of York; gross value, £427 with residence. Patron, Lord Leconfield, The church is ancient and good. There are Wesley&n and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Catton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Catton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Catton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Catton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: