Burton Constable, East Riding of Yorkshire
Burton-Constable, a hamlet in the township of West Newton, Swine parish, E.R. Yorkshire, with a station on the Hornsea railway, 8½ miles NE of Hull. Aldbrough is the post and money order office; telegraph office at the station. Burton-Constable House, formerly the property of the Cliffords, now the seat of the Clifford-Constable family, is one of the oldest and finest baronial halls in England, with fronts of 131 and 133 feet, and a tower at each corner; and contains a large collection of local manuscript history, and many family portraits.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton Constable from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burton-Constable)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Burton Constable are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: