Bilton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Bilton, a township, a parish, and a small village in the E.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles N of Swine railway station, and 4 NE of Hull, which is the post town. The parish also comprises the townships of Ganstead and Wyton. Area of township, 1205 acres; population of the civil parish, 101; of the ecclesiastical, 259. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, .6283 with residence. The church is excellent.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Bilton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bilton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bilton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: