Aldbrough or Aldburgh, East Riding of Yorkshire
Aldbrough or Aldburgh, a township, a parish, and a large village in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, 8 miles NNE of Hedon, 12 NE of Hull, and 4 from Burton Constable station on the N.E.R.; has a post and money order office under Hull; and includes the hamlets of Berwick, Carlton-with-Fosham, Etherdwick, and Tanstern. The parish includes also the townships of East Newton, West Newton, and Little Cowden. Acreage, 4904; population, 666. The Talbot Clifford-Constable family are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £450. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and has a curious stone with a Saxon inscription. Towrie's charity, founded in 1653 for the benefit of poor parishioners, has an income of £150, and is applied to the education of poor children and the maintenance of poor widows. Tymperon's charity maintains three poor widows. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and the Towrie endowed school; also extensive brick and tile works.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: