Wollescote, a township in Old Swinford parish, Worcestershire, 1½ mile E of Stourbridge. Acreage, 443; population, 3458. It is included in the ecclesiastical parish of the Lye.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Old Swinford|
|Poor Law union||Stourbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wollescote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wollescott)
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Wollescote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.