Selly Oak, Worcestershire
Selly Oak, an ecclesiastical parish and a suburb of Birmingham in Northfield parish, Worcestershire, on the Worcester and Birmingham and Netherton Canals, 3½ miles SW of Birmingham. It has a station on the M.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Birmingham. The Selly Oak Institute comprises library, reading-room, and a hall for entertainments. The workhouse of the Kings Norton union is situated here. There are extensive works for the manufacture of sheathing for the bottoms and sides of vessels. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1862; population, 5764. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £128 with residence. The church was erected in 1861, and is in the Decorated style. The ecclesiastical parish of Selly Hill was constituted in 1892; population, 1731. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £240. The church was erected in 1871. There is a Roman Catholic convent, and Roman Catholic, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.