Quinton, an ecclesiastical parish in Halesowen parish, Worcestershire, adjacent to Staffordshire, 2 miles E of Halesowen, 3 SE by S of Oldbury, and 5 WSW of Birmingham. It was constituted in 1842, and comprises the townships of Ridgacre, Warley Salop, and Warley Wigorn, and parts of Hill and Lapal townships. It has a post and money order office under Birmingham; telegraph office, Halesowen. Population, 3223. Under the Local Government Act of 1894 this ecclesiastical parish is governed civilly by its different townships. Bidgacre, now called Quinton, has a parish council of nine members; Warley has become a ward of the urban district of Oldbury, and Hill and Lapal have their respective parish councils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £185 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Halesowen. The church was built in 1841, and is in the Early English style, with bell-turret. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, and a convalescent cottage hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Quinton, The)
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.