Malvern Wells, Worcestershire
Malvern Wells, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Worcestershire, under the Malvern Hills, 2 miles S of Great Malvern, sharing with Great Malvern the character of a watering-place, and having stations on the Worcester and Hereford section of the G.W.R., and the Ashchurch, Tewkes-bury, and Malvern section of the M.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Great Malvern. Population, 1154. The " Holy Well," on the hillside above the village, is a famous spring remarkable for the purity of its water, which is used medicinally, and for the manufacture of soda and other mineral waters. The Midland Counties Fish Culture Establishment carry on the incubation of fish to stock the rivers of the district. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £270 with residence. The church is a modern stone edifice in the Early English style, erected in 1836. Malvern Wells is a ward in the parish of Cranley Castle, returning seven members to the parish council.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Hanley Castle|
|Poor Law union||Upton-upon-Severn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Malvern Wells from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Malvern-Wells)
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Malvern Wells are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.