Lickey, an ecclesiastical parish in the parishes of Bromsgrove and Kings Norton, Worcestershire, 4 miles NE of Broms-grove. There are stations at Blackwell and Barnt Green on the M.K., and at Eubery on the G.W. and Midland Joint railway; a post office at Lickey End; money order and telegraph office, Bromsgrove. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1858. Population, 2467. The Lickey Hills include Rubery, Bilberry, Rednall, and Beacon; they exhibit scenes of remarkable beauty, command very extensive and fine prospects, and one of them is crowned with an obelisk in memory of the sixth Earl of Plymouth. Four rivers take their rise from these hills-the Arrow, the Stour, the Salwarpe, and the Eea. Pleasure parties from a far extent of surroun ding country and from Birmingham visit Lickey in the summer months. Bilberry and Eednall Hills were acquired by the Corporation of Birmingham for public recreation in 1888. The Birmingham Lunatic Asylum on Rubery Hill was opened in 1882. The Birmingham and Midland Counties Sanatorium is situated on an elevated site near Blackwell railway station. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bromsgrove. The church was built in 1856, is in the Early Englisli style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chance], with a belfry. The chancel was restored and greatly improved in 1894. There is a chapel of ease at Linthurst, and there are Wesleyan chapels at Lickey End and Linthurst, a Congregational chapel at Eubery, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Lickey End.
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Lickey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.