Langley, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Halesowen parish, Worcestershire. The hamlet lies contiguous to Oldbury, near the boundary with Staffordshire, 3 miles ESE of Dudley, and 5 W of Birmingham. It has a station of the name of Langley Green on the Birmingham and Dudley branch of the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Birmingham. There is also a post and money order office at Langley Green, under Birmingham; telegraph office, Langley. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the village of Rounds Green, and was constituted in 1845. Population, 9047. There are extensive ironworks, brickyards, collieries, and breweries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop of Worcester. Holy Trinity Church was built in 1852, and is in the Early Decorated style. The church of St Michael and All Angels was erected in 1890. The church of St James is a chapel of ease at Rounds Green. It was erected in 1892 as a memorial church by Mr Walter Showell. There are Congregational, Primitive and New Connexion Methodist chapels, and a lecture hall and library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bromsgrove|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langley from the following:
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Langley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.