Beedon or Beedon Hill, a village and a parish in Berks, 3 miles NW from Hampstead Norris station on the G.W.R. The parish includes the tithing of Stanmore, and has a post office of the name of Beedon Hill, under Newbury; money order and telegraph office, East Ilsley. Acreage, 2012; population, 272. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £190 with residence, in the gift of Lord Wantage. The church, a building of flint and rubble erected in 1220, was restored in 1882. Some interesting antiquities of the Romano-British period were discovered in this parish in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Beedon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Wantage|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1732.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is a small building of flint and rubble in the Transition Norman style, and consists of chancel and nave, south porch and a western bell-cote, containing 5 bells; the east end has three Transition Norman windows, with dog-tooth ornament and banded shafts between the lights; the chancel arch, with its corbel shafts, as well as the north doorway, belong to the same period; the south doorway is Early English; the church was restored in 1882, at a cost of £800, under the direction of Mr. Edwin Dolby, architect, of Abingdon, and was re-opened 22nd July, 1882, the cost of the repair of the chancel having been entirely defrayed by Lord and Lady Wantage; there are 125 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Beedon was in Wantage Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beedon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Beedon (St. Nicholas))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Beedon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.