UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hampton or Great Hampton, Worcestershire

Historical Description

Hampton or Great Hampton, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands near the river Avon and the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1 mile SW of Evesham, and has a post office under Evesham; money order and telegraph office, Evesham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Little Hampton, which contains Evesham Workhouse. Acreage, 1693; population, 742. Much of the land is meadow. Vineyard Hill, a short way north-west of the village, commands a fine view. Market gardening is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £95 with residence. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century, has an embattled tower of later date rising from the junction of nave and chancel, and has also a fine stained glass window in memorial of the construction of the splendid new bridge over the Avon at Evesham. A richly carved remnant of an ancient cross is in the churchyard.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWorcestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishHampton St. Andrew 
HundredBlackenhurst 
Poor Law unionEvesham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hampton or Great Hampton from the following:


Land and Property

The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.


Maps

Online maps of Hampton or Great Hampton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.