Finstall, an ecclesiastical parish formed out of the parish of Stoke Prior, Worcestershire, 2 miles E of Bromsgrove. Ifc has a post and telegraph office under Bromsgrcv-e; money order office, Bromsgrove. The Bromsgrove station on the M.R. is in this parish. Finstall Park and Rigby Hall are the chief residences. The parish was constituted in 1868. Population, 1385. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £336. The old church is now used only for burial services. The parish church was erected in 1884. The Bristol and Birmingham (Midland) railway works are situated here.
The register dates from the year 1869.
Church of England
The old church of St. Godwald, rebuilt in 1773, is a plain square edifice of brick, consisting of nave only, and is now disused except for burial services.
St. Godwald (parish church)
The new church of St. Godwald, erected in 1883-4, at a cost of £2,222, and now the parish church, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept and a south porch, over which is a simple wooden bell gable containing one small bell: the east window and another in the chancel are stained, and there are 270 sittings.
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Finstall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.