Far Forest or Bewdley Far Forest, Worcestershire
Far-Forest or Bewdley Far-Forest, an ecclesiastical parish in Ribbesford and Rock parishes, Worcestershire, and Stottesden parish, Salop, 1 mile from Wyre-Forest station on the Tenbury and Bewdley branch of the G.W.R., and 4 miles W of Bewdley. Post town, Bewdley. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844. Population, 651. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £127 with residence. Patrons, the Rectors of Ribbesford and Rock alternately. The church is small. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cleobury-Mortimer|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1846.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and a small western turret containing one bell: there is a memorial window at the east end to James Fryer esq. of Bewdley, a former benefactor of the church, and two others to John Lea esq. of The Shrubbery, and Mrs. Sarah Lea: the church affords 300 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Far Forest or Bewdley Far Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Forest, Far (The))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.