Cookley, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Wolverley parish, Worcestershire. The village stands on the river Stour, 3 miles NNE of Kidderminster, and it has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kidderminster. Extensive ironworks, formerly here, were removed in 1886. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1849. Population, 1114. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £200 with residence. The church is good. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kidderminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cookley from the following:
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Cookley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.