Winsley, a scattered village in Wiltshire, formed into an ecclesiastical parish, with Limpley Stoke, from the civil parish of Bradford in 1846. The village stands 1½ mile from Bradford station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bradford; money order and telegraph office, Limpley Stoke, Population, 1151. The Kennet and Avon Canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Limpley Stoke, in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £285 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1841, and is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style; it was restored in 1889. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Bradford|
|Poor Law union||Bradford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Winsley:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winsley from the following:
Online maps of Winsley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: