West Cholderton, Wiltshire
Cholderton, West, a parish in Wilts, on the verge of the county, 2½ miles W by N of Grateley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 ENE of Amesbury. It has a post and telegraph office, of the name of Cholderton, under Salisbury; money order office, Amesbury. Acreage, 1695; population, 175. The manor belonged formerly to the Foyles, and then to the Nelson family. In 1889 it was purchased by H. C. Stephens, M.P. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £283 with residence. Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. Among former rectors may be mentioned Thomas Mozley, author of " Reminiscences of Oriel College," &c.; J. Eraser, bishop of Manchester; and W. Stubbs, the present bishop of Oxford. The church was built in 1844, and as in the Perpendicular style, with an octagonal tower and a spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Cholderton St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Amesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1652.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, erected and consecrated in 1850, in place of a former edifice, is a structure of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave only, with a turret at the north-west angle containing one bell: the seats are of oak, beautifully carved with birds, fruit and flowers, and all the windows are stained: the font of the old church stands in the churchyard: there are 122 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Cholderton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cholderton, West (St. Nicholas))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: