Southbroom or St James, a parish in Wiltshire, near Devizes station on the G.W.R. Post town, Devizes. Acreage, 2663; population of the civil parish, 3633; of the ecclesiastical, 2950. For parish council purposes it has been divided into two parts-St James Devizes and Roundway, the latter being that part outside the borough of Devizes, and having a parish council consisting of thirteen members. Southbroom House and Roundway Park are chief residences. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £295 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bishops Cannings. The church, excepting the embattled tower, was rebuilt in 1834.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Potterne and Cannings
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1572.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Southbroom:
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The parish church of Southbroom, dedicated to St. James (formerly an old chapelry of Bishop's Cannings, but constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1832) stands on the Green, Southbroom, within the borough of Devizes. It was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1834, and is of stone in the Late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south and west porches and an embattled western tower with turret and pinnacles, and containing 6 bells: in the chancel is a credence with trefoil-headed arch, and on each side of the east window are two canopied niches; the stained east window is a memorial to Edward Francis Colston, of Roundway, d. 1847; and there are other memorial windows to the Rev. John Nicholas LL.D. d. 1836, and his family, and one placed in 1902 as a memorial to Mrs. R. Colston and her eldest son: the west window is also stained: there are brasses to the Rev. Benjamin C. Dowding M.A. d. 1870, and to John Frederick Nicholls M.D. surgeon to the 3rd battalion Wiltshire Regiment, d. 1885, and other officers and men of the Wiltshire Regiment, and marble monuments to Bridget Nicholas, d. 1752, Edward G. M. Colston, d. 1859, besides other mural monuments and tablets: the brass lectern was the gift of Lt.-Col. Arthur H. Longley. On June 11, 1902, the old colours of the 99th (later 2nd Batt. Wilts Regt.) were hung above the memorial window to the officers and men of this Regiment who fell in the Zulu war: these colours, presented in 1841, and carried in many campaigns, were in 1871 given to H.R.H. the late Duke of Edinburgh, whose name the Regiment bore, and on his death were returned to Gen. J. H. Dunne, colonel of the Regiment, by whom they were here deposited. Here also are deposited the colours of the 3rd Wilts Regiment. The church was reseated throughout in 1897 by A. Grant Meek esq. of Devizes, and affords 592 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southbroom from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brome, or Broom, South)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: