UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Savernake Forest, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Savernake Forest, a chapelry and an ancient forest in Wiltshire. The chapelry is in Great Bedwin parish, lies 2 miles NW of Bedwin station on the G.W.R. and 4½ SE by E of Marlborough, and was constituted in 1864. Post town, Hungerford; money order and telegraph office, Burbage. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 437. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church is a handsome stone Gothic structure, and was erected in 1861 by the Dowager-Marchioness of Ailesbury. The whole of the windows are stained glass. The ancient forest includes the chapelry, comprises a domain of 16 miles in circuit, retains much of its ancient sylvan character, displays a grandeur of forest scenery highly interesting to artists, formed part of the jointure of Queen Eleanor, passed to the Seymours dukes of Somerset, went by marriage in 1676 to the Braces, and belongs now to the Marquis of Ailesbury. Savernake Forest House, formerly called Tottenham Park, is the marquis's seat. A column, seen through a long vista from the N front of the mansion, crowns a lofty height, and was erected in 1789 to commemorate events in the life of George III.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Savernake Forest:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1861-1880  1861-1880

Maps

Online maps of Savernake Forest are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:

CountyWiltshire

Advertisement

Advertisement