Eggesford, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Taw, 2¼miles S of Chulmleigh, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 194 miles from London. Acreage, 1329; population, 159. The manor belonged formerly to the Chichesters, and belongs now to the Earl of Portsmouth. The old seat of the lords of the manor was near the church, but has completely disappeared, and the present one is within the parish of Wembworthy. The scenery is magnificent. There is good trout fishing in the Taw. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £135 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church stands within the Earl of Portsmouth's park, is a small stone edifice with a tower, and contains monuments of the Chichesters, Fellowes, and Wallops, Earls of Portsmouth.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eggesford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Eggesford)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.