Overton, a village and a parish in Wiltshire. The village stands on the river Kennet, 4 miles W by S of Marlborough station on the G.W.R., and is a small place. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Marlborough. The parish comprises the township of West Overton, the tithing of Lockeridge, and the chapelry of Alton Priors. Acreage, 4248; population of The civil parish, 606; of the ecclesiastical, 974. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. Lockeridge House is a chief residence. Most of the land is disposed in sheep farms. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Alton Priors and with the vicarage of Fyfield, in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £470 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1878, and, is in the Early Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Overton St. Michael|
|Hundred||Elstub and Everley|
|Poor Law union||Marlborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Overton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Overton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Overton (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: