Egg Buckland, Devon
Egg Buckland or Buckland Egg, a parish in Devonshire, on the Dartmoor railway, near the river Plym, 3 miles NNE of Plymouth. It contains Crabtree hamlet, Laira, and part of Crown Hill village, and its post town is Crown Hill (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Plymouth. Acreage, 3331; population, 1833. Widey Court here was the headquarters of Prince Maurice during his siege of Plymouth, and was visited by the king. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £500 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, consists of j nave, south aisle, and chancel, with a tower, and is in good condition.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Egg Buckland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Buckland-Egg)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCrabtree
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.