Oare, an ecclesiastical parish, and, with Wilcot, forming one civil parish in Wiltshire, near the Kennet and Avon Canal, 2 miles N of Pewsey station on the G.W.R., and 4½ SSW of Marlborough. It has a post office under Marlborough; money order and telegraph office, Pewsey. There is a parish council for Oare and Wilcot consisting of nine members. Oare Hill is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Wilcot, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is ancient, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
Online maps of Oare are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: