Longford, a hamlet in Britford parish, Wiltshire, on the river Avon, 2½ miles SE of Salisbury. Longford Castle is the seat of the Earl of Radnor; was built about 1591 by Sir Thomas Gorges, at a cost of about £18,000; had originally a triangular form, flanked at the angles by circular towers, and surrounded by a moat; was besieged and captured in 1645 by Cromwell; came into the possession of the Radnor family in 1717; was altered by Jacob, second Earl of Radnor, in the early part of the 19th century, -who intended to rebuild it in a hexagonal form, but left it unfinished; and was completed by the late Earl in 1877. It is flanked by five towers, and contains a remarkably rich picture gallery, noted particularly for paintings by Holbein and Claud Lorraine.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Cawden and Cadworth
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Longford)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: