East Putford, Devon
Putford, East, a village and a parish in Devonshire, on the river Torridge, 9 miles SW of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Brandis Corner; money order and telegraph office, Bradworthy. Acreage, 2379; population, 139. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of West Putford, in the diocese of Exeter. The chapel consists of chancel, nave with bell turret, and N transept. It was. almost completely rebuilt in 1882. . Putford, West, a small and scattered parish in Devonshire, situated on both sides of the river Torridge, 10 miles SW of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Putford Bridge; money order and telegraph office, Bradworthy. The parish contains the hamlets of Colscotty Sessacott, Thriverdon, and Wedfield. Acreage, 2705; population, 233. The living is a rectory, with East Pntford annexed, in the diocese of Exeter; joint value, £220 with residence. The church is cruciform and has a western tower. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Putford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Putford, East)
Online maps of East Putford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.