East Portlemouth, Devon
Portlemouth, East, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on a hill at the E side of Salcombe Haven, opposite Salcombe, and 5½ miles S by E of Kingsbridge station on the G.W.R.; is a scattered place, commands beautiful sea views, and communicates with Kingsbridge daily by passage and ferry boats. Post town, Kingsbridge; money order and telegraph office, Salcombe. The parish contains also the hamlets of Rickham and Holset. Acreage, 1981; population, 310. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. An entrenchment is here, and is supposed to have been used in assaulting Salcombe Castle. A coastguard station is at Rickham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £370 with residence. Patron, the Duchess of Cleveland. The church is Later English, with a tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1881.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Portlemouth St. Onolaus|
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Portlemouth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Portlemouth, East (St. Onolaus))
Online maps of East Portlemouth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHolset
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.