Fosbury, a chapelry in Tidcombe and Shalbourn parishes, Wiltshire, adjacent to Hants and Berks, 7 miles NE of Ludgershall, and 5 from Grafton station on the Midland and South-Western Junction railway. It was constituted in 1856. It has a post office under Hungerford; money order office, Shalbourn; telegraph office, Bedwyn railway station. Population, 255. Fosbury House is the seat of the Bevan family. An ancient camp called Haydon Hill is here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £250 with residence. The church is Early English and good.
The register dates from the year 1856.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Fosbury:
Church of England
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church, built and endowed by the late R. C. L. Bevan esq. is a building of flint and stone, in the Early English style, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower, containing a clock and one bell: there are 250 sittings.
Online maps of Fosbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: