Earlstoke or Erlestoke, a parish in Wilts, near the north border of Salisbury Plain, 3¼ miles W of Market-Lavington, and 8 from Westbury station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Devizes; telegraph office, Brat-ton, or Market-Lavington. Acreage, 2054; population, 260. The manor belonged to the Monthermers and the Montacutes, Earls of Gloucester and Salisbury. Erlestoke Park is the seat of the Watson-Taylor family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £195 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1880, and is in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Devizes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1681.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Erlestoke:
Church of England
St. Saviour (parish church)
The church of St. Saviour, rebuilt in 1880, at the cost of the late Lady Hannah Charlotte Watson-Taylor, is of stone in the Perpendicular style, from designs by the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, vestry and a central embattled tower with pointed roof, containing 6 bells: there are sittings for 150 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Erlestoke from the following:
Online maps of Erlestoke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: