East Buckland, Devon
Buckland, East, a parish in Devonshire, on an affluent of the river Taw, 2 miles from Filleigh station on the G.W.R. It has a post office at West Buckland, under South Molton; money order office, Filleigh; telegraph office, Filleigh railway station. Acreage, 1612; population, 111. The manor belongs to Earl Fortescue. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Filleigh, in the diocese of Exeter; value, £200. Patron, Earl Fortescue. The church is small. It was rebuilt in 1861, but the tower is ancient.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Buckland St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1684.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting or chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled tower on the south-west containing 6 bells: the church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1860: the stained east window was erected in memory of Hugh, 2nd Earl Fortescue K.G., LL.D., F.R.S. who died at Exeter, 14th September, 1861: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Buckland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Buckland, East (St. Michael))
Online maps of East Buckland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.