Dilton, a chapelry in Westbury parish, Wilts, 2 miles SW of Westbury station on the G.W.R. Post town, Dilton-Marsh, under Westbury; money order and telegraph office, Westbury Lcigh. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Westbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is old and small, but is interesting as being one of the few remaining specimens of the old high pews and 11 three decker of the 18th century. The population has almost entirely migrated to Dilton-Marsh.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
|Westbury and Whorwelsdown
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Dilton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dilton)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: