UK Genealogy Archives logo

Chidbury or Cidbury Hill, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Chidbury or Cidbury Hill, an eminence on the east border of Wilts, 3¼ miles W of Ludgershall. It is crowned by an ancient camp, and commands a fine view. The camp is heart-shaped, occupies 17 acres, and is engirt by two ramparts and two ditches, the inner one 46 feet deep. A raised causeway, probably a Saxon road, goes from the chief entrance toward East Everley, banks and ditches diverge from other points, and Druidical tumuli and vestiges of ancient British villas are near.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5