East Allington, Devon
Allington, East, a parish in Devonshire, 4¾ miles NW of Start Bay, and 11 from Kingsbridge Road station on the G.W.R. Allington has a post office under Mounts; money order and telegraph office, Kingsbridge. Acreage, 3702; population, 469. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £380. The church has a screen, contains monuments of the Fortescue family, and is good; it was restored in 1875. There is a Methodist chapel. Fallapit, in the vicinity, is a noble mansion in the Elizabethan style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Allington St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1554.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with turret, containing 6 bells and a clock: in 1908 the 5 old bells were rehung in a new iron frame, and a new treble bell added at a cost of £280: the pulpit and screen, dating from 1547, are fine specimens of rich carving, and bear the arms of the Fortescue and other families who intermarried with them: the east window is a memorial to Mrs. Fortescue, late of Fallapit: there are also several monuments, as well as two brasses in splendid condition, one with effigy, to John Fortescue esq. ob. 1595, and his wife, and an inscribed brass of the 17th century to John Fortescue and Margaret his wife, besides brasses and monuments to the Wells family: a baptistery and stained west window were presented in 1892 by Mrs. Cubitt, in memory of her husband, William Cubitt esq. and at the same time a reredos of white and pink alabaster was erected: a new font of white and pink marble, with carved oak cover, was given by Mrs. Cubitt; and in 1900 a mural memorial was erected to the Rev. Henry Reymundo Fortescue B.A. rector 1844-98: the church was restored in 1875, at a cost of £2,500, defrayed by the late W. Cubitt esq. to whom an inscribed brass has been placed by the workpeople on the Fallapit estate: in 1906 a new chancel door was provided by Lord Ashcombe, who also gave an American organ, in 1913: the church affords 330 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Allington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Allington, East (St. Andrew))
Online maps of East Allington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.