Charlton (Downton), Wiltshire
Charlton, a chapelry in Downton and Standlinch parishes, Wiltshire, on the river Avon, 4 miles SSE of Salisbury. It was constituted in 1851. Population, 321. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charlton (Downton) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Charlton)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: