Broad Town, Wiltshire
Broad-Town, a hamlet and a parish formed in 1844 out of Broad-Hinton and Clyffe-Pypard parishes, in Wilts. In 1884 it was made a civil parish. The hamlet lies 1½ mile NW of Broad-Hinton village and 3 miles SE of Wootton-Basset station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Swindon; money order office, Broad-Hinton; telegraph office, Wootton-Basset. The area of the parish is 2040 acres; population, 483. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £101 with residence. Patrons, the Vicars of Broad-Hinton and Clyffe-Pypard alternately.
The register dates from the year 1847.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Broad Town:
Church of England
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of nave and a western bell cot containing one bell: the east window is stained, and there are 190 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Online maps of Broad Town are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: