UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bradenstoke cum Clack, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Bradenstoke-cum-Clack is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1864 out of the parishes of Christian Malford and Lyneham, in Wilts. It is about a mile from Dauntsey station on the G.W.R.. and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chippenham. Population, 422. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £130 with residence. The church is a small but beautiful building in the Gothic style. Sir Gabriel Goldney, Bart., the patron of the living, has provided a reading-room for the use of the parishioners. There is an old Baptist chapel built in 1779, also one belonging to the Primitive-Methodist Connexion. An Augustinian abbey was founded here in 1142 by Walter D'Evereux; given at the dissolution to Richard Pexel, it has had various owners, and is now the property of Sir Gabriel Goldney, Bart. The remains have been adapted for use as a farmhouse. In a field adjoining the-abbey, in a commanding position, are the traces of an old-Roman encampment.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1867.


Church of England

St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)

The church of St. Mary the Virgin, erected in 1864 by Sir Gabriel Goldney bart. is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, north porch and western bell turret with one bell: there are sittings for 250 persons.


Baptist Chapel


Primitive Methodist Chapel

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: