Dunkeswell, a parish in Devonshire, near one of the sources of the river Culm, 6 miles N by W of Honiton town, and 4 from Hemyock station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Honiton; telegraph office, Hemyock railway station. Acreage, 4588; population of the civil parish, 344; of the ecclesiastical, 287. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £108 with residence. The parish church was built in 1868-69 in the Early English style; it has a good tower and five bells, and a very ancient font. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dunkeswell St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunkeswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dunkeswell (St. Nicholas))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Dunkeswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.