UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bemerton, Wiltshire

Historical Description

Bemerton, a chapelry in Fugglestone-St-Peter parish, Wiltshire, about 1 mile from the stations of the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. at Salisbury. It has a post office; money order office, Fisherton; telegraph office, Salisbury. Population, 1060. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. The old church of St Andrew is said to have been built by the Abbess of Wilton in 1408, but contains windows of an earlier date. It was restored by George Herbert the poet in 1632, and by Mr Wyatt in 1866. It is close to the rectory. The present chapel or church of St John was built in 1861 by Sidney, Lord Herbert, as a memorial to his illustrious namesake; is in the Transition style from First to Second Pointed; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with north-eastern square tower, but presents a very irregular outline. George Herbert, who died in 1635; John Norris the poet and metaphysician, who died in 1711; and Archdeacon Cox the traveller and historian, who died in 1828, were rectors.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWiltshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBemerton St. Andrew 
HundredBranch and Dole 
Poor Law unionWilton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Bemerton:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1629-19151756-18131631-19271631-1912

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bemerton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bemerton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online:


Parochial History

Until the year 1894 Fugglestone St Peter was the civil as well as the ecclesiastical parish, of which Bemerton is a chapelry, but in that year, under the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1894, the County Council mad an order, dated July 10th, constituting Bemerton as the civil parish, including part of Fugglestone St Peter, the remainder of that place being joined for all civil purposes with the parish of Wilton.

CountyWiltshire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtSP2
Post TownSalisbury

Advertisement

Advertisement