Dunchideock, a parish in Devonshire, E of the river Teign, 4 miles SW of Exeter town and station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Exeter; money order and telegraph office, Kenford. Acreage, 968; population of the civil parish, 139; of the ecclesiastical, 205. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Shillingford, in the diocese of Exeter; joint net value, £250 with residence. The church stands on an eminence, is of the 14th or 15th century, consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, Lady chapel, with western embattled tower, and has a very fine and delicately carved oak screen of the 15th century. The building was restored in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dunchideock Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunchideock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dunchideock (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Dunchideock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.