Atworth or Atford, was formerly a tithing of Bradford-on-Avon, but in 1884 it was amalgamated with Great and Little Chalfield and Cottles, to form the civil parish of Atworth, Wiltshire. It is 4 miles from Bradford, and 3 from Corsham station on the G.W.R. Post town, Melksham. Acreage of civil parish, 2756; population, 767. The living is a vicarage with South Wraxall, in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £280. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The present church was built in 1832, but the tower of an ancient one stands by. There are two dissenting chapels, and some good stone quarries in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Bradford|
|Poor Law union||Bradford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Wiltshire Record Office, have the following parish records online for Atworth:
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The parish church of St Michael is a building of stone, in the Geometric style, and consists of nave only: the ancient square tower, containing 3 bells, once attached to the old church, now stands apart to the north of the present building: the church was rebuilt in 1852 and affords 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Atworth from the following:
Online maps of Atworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Wiltshire papers online: