UK Genealogy Archives logo

Yanwath and Eamont Bridge, Westmorland

Historical Description

Yanwath and Eamont Bridge, two villages forming a joint township in Barton parish, Westmorland, on the river Eamont, 1½ mile SSE of Penrith station on the L. & N.W.R., with a post office at Yanwath, under Penrith; money order office, Penrith; telegraph office, Eamont Bridge. Acreage, 1299; population, 289. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. Yanwath Hall, formerly a fortified manor-house, is now a farmhouse. There is an ancient bridge of three arches over the Eamont, which gives name to the village of Eamont Bridge, and an iron chapel of ease. There are also Druidical remains, an entrenchment, and other earthworks near.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWestmorland 
Civil parishBarton 
Poor Law unionWest ward 
WardWest 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Yanwath and Eamont Bridge from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.