Dowland, a parish in Devonshire, near the river Torridge, 5½ miles NNE of Hatherleigh, and 9 W of Eggesford station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Dolton; money order office, Dolton; telegraph office, Winkleigh. Acreage, 1747;. population, 127. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £90. Patron, the Earl of Iddcsleigh. The church is old, and has a square tower. It was restored in 1879.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dowland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dowland)
Online maps of Dowland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.